>

Alma 29:9

I know that which the Lord hath commanded me, and I glory in it. I do not glory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded me; yea, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my joy.



Monday, February 17, 2014

Hello Pembroke

Transfer day it was snowing, but it didn't change much.  I love being in the North Carolina Raleigh Mission, because each area is so unique!  We did have a bad storm come through, everyone freaked out, but I didn't think it was that bad. But apparently it was the biggest snow storm in years.

I am now in Pembroke, which is not your ordinary sleepy country town.  89% of the town is Native American and a part of the Lumbee tribe.  It is one of the biggest tribes out there.  I'm basically living on a unofficial reservation.  Pembroke only has about 2500 people in it, yet it has a ward, and many of the branches nearby are split offs from the ward.  

The area is highly rural, but we live in a really nice large duplex, I get my own bathroom.  The church is not too far from us, it is located next to a small university, UNC Pembroke.  We mostly use the car to get around, and we have a set of sisters in our area.

This week has been good, doing missionary work in Pembroke is different, because here everyone is related to each other.  We have to call people by there first names or else no one will know who you are talking about.  Everyone here has the same last name, there are 4 pages of Locklears on the ward roster!  There are also a lot of Oxendines, Lowerys and Jones.

I like my new companion, he is great, and once again I am with a district leader.  Elder Brinkerhoff he is from Altamont in the Uinta Mountains.  He is darker than half the Lumbee tribe, and many people think he is Native American.  He has been on his a mission for a while now.  I might be his last companion.

That is great that soon the grandparents will have a home.  I don't know if there is anything you can ship out here that I need that I can't get anyways.  There are some things I need to buy though with my card, so keep an eye on the money.  We are not doing anything special for President's day.

I am glad you think I have integrity, as a missionary you need it.  Because, we want people to trust us so they are willing to listen to our message.  People can sense if you have integrity.

I love you and I will email you next week.


Love, Elder Lakey


No comments :

Post a Comment